This Patron comes only after the total conversion of the city to Christianity. Initially, the Patron of the city was the God Mars whose statue was located at the north entrance of Ponte Vecchio and remained there until 1333, when it was completely destroyed by the Arno flooding.
Many events will characterize the next June 24th (and not only)…
Cultural Festival San Giovanni Battista June 21-30th 2012
A new cultural festival which will comprise ten days of antiquarian and contemporary art exhibitions, a one-day conference and two performances of Stradella’s 1675 oratorio San Giovanni Battista.
The Festival is a new event presented by “i Buontalenti” and it is dedicated to the people of Florence to celebrate their patron saint.
“Notturna di San Giovanni Walking Race” June 23th 2012
Take off on a 4/10 kilometer race walk through the streets of Florence on a warm summer night. Now in its 73th edition, the race is the perfect way to see the city’s streets in a new way. The shorter races are ideal for kids and families.
June 24th, feast of Florence’s patron
It’s a day where several festivities take palce in Florence throughout the day such as parades, the Rowing Club competition along the Arno river, fireworks, etc.
The final game of the famous Historic Florentine Football, in Piazza Santa Croce
This is the program:
· 08.00 am Holy Mass for the dead in the Baptistery of the ‘Society of St. John’
· 09.00 am on Via del Corso 1, parade, the Deputation, with valets and Figures in representation of the four historic districts reach the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence parade starting from the seat and along Via del Corso and Via Calzaiuoli.
· 09.30 am at the Palazzo Vecchio. Homage of the Deputation to the Mayor and municipal authorities. Procession from Piazza Signoria to the Baptistery, with Banner and bannerers, escorted by Valets and the Men at Arms.
· 10.00 am Solemn Exposition of the Baptistery of the Holy Relic and the offering of candles by the Authority and the Deputation.
· 10.30 am Solemn celebration in the Cathedral.
· At 16.00 Departure of the procession of the Calcio Storico Fiorentino in Santa Maria Novella.
· Historical Fiorentine Football Match at 17.00 in Piazza Santa Croce Florence historical
· Fireworks at 22.00